Doctors Link Elmiron With Macular Degeneration In Long-Term Users
Elmiron patient's eye damage has gone unchecked for decades and misdiagnosed as retinal dystrophy, a condition common among the elderly
Thursday, August 13, 2020 - Science Daily.com recently investigated patients that complained that their bladder discomfort drug Elmiron caused them to develop permanent eyesight damage. Over 1 million women in America suffer from chronic pain in the bladder and pelvis called Interstitial Cystitis (IC). Doctors have been prescribing Elmiron to their patients for over a decade to treat this specific pain. Elmiron is manufactured by Janssen Pharmaceuticals and is the only drug approved by the US FDA to treat IC pain. Janssen Pharmaceuticals has enjoyed a monopoly as the only FDA approved drug to treat IC. IC users have been taking Elmiron for decades and in ever-increasing quantities. As a result, toxic amounts of Elmiron have accumulated in patient's tissues including those surrounding and protecting the eye. Elmiron doctors alarmed at the high number of patients complaining of eyesight problems discovered the connection between long-term Elmiron users and their patient's eyesight deterioration. In particular, it appears that Elmiron users develop "unusual changes in their macula, the central part of the retina responsible for delivering clear, crisp, central vision," according to Science Daily.
Doctors studying Elmiron macular degeneration report that most of their long-term patients show signs of Elmiron drug toxicity. Robin A. Vora, M.D, an ophthalmologist at Kaiser Permanente, and a group of other eye doctors, studied IC patients and reported: "You have a patient with a chronic condition like interstitial cystitis, for which there is no cure and no effective treatment. They get put on these medications because it's thought to have few side effects and few risks, and no one thinks about it again. And year after year, the number of pills they're taking goes up and up," according to Science Daily. If you have been taking Elmiron and have experienced vision problems you should speak with an Elmiron Macular Degeneration Lawyer to see if you may file a claim against Janssen.
Janssen Pharmaceuticals, the maker of Elmiron, is being accused of failing to warn patients of what they knew or should have known about Elmiron's toxicity buildup resulting in the side effect of causing eyesight damage. Drugwatch.com describes the link between using Elmiron and developing irreversible eye damage. "Elmiron may cause damage to a part of the retina called the macula, causing vision problems. The type of maculopathy linked to Elmiron is called pigmentary maculopathy. According to studies, this type of maculopathy seems to be unique to Elmiron users." Elmiron patients are filing lawsuits against Janssen Pharmaceuticals, a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson, for failing to warn them of the potential for the drug to cause their blindness.
Ophthalmologists recommend that Elmiron patients see their eye doctors at least once per year for signs of eye damage and if should discontinue the medication if a problem appears. Doctors report that early diagnosis and treatment of maculopathy is essential to treat the condition, and that waiting too long could result in permanent eye damage and blindness.
More Recent Elmiron Eye Lawsuit News:
- The Food And Drug Administration Updated The Elmiron Safety Warning Only Recently | 7/21/2021
- Patients Must Establish an Eyesight Baseline To Compare With Vision Damages Allegedly Caused By Elmiron | 4/19/2021
- Doctors That Treat Interstitial Cystitis Pain With Elmiron Should Recommend Dietary Changes Instead | 4/12/2021
- Bladder-Pain Patients Taking Elmiron Should See An Ophthalmologist For Vision Loss Testing | 4/7/2021
- Johnson & Johnson Continue to Overlook Warning Doctors That Prescribe Elmiron | 4/2/2021
- Is It Possible Elmiron's Bladder Pain Relief May Be Only Psychosomatic? | 3/28/2021
- Uncertainty And Questions Surrounds Bladder-Pain Drug Elmiron | 3/19/2021
- Women Are Filing Elmiron Vision Damage Lawsuits | 3/7/2021
- Add Permanent and Irreversible To Describe Alleged Elmiron, Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium (PPS) Eyesight Damage | 3/3/2021
- Elmiron (PPS) Leaves A Specific Signature On A Patient's Retina | 2/24/2021
- Two More Canadian Women Report Elmiron Related Blindness | 2/22/2021
- Janssen Waiting Until 2020 To Admit Elmiron Blindness | 2/16/2021
- Attorney Danielle Gold Appointed To Lead Elmiron Lawsuit MDL | 2/8/2021
- Opthamoligists Believe Elmiron Causes Permanent Eyesight Damage | 1/27/2021
- Dangerous Drug Elmiron Slipped Past The FDA | 1/19/2021
- Long-Term Elmiron Use More Than Doubles The Risk of Eyesight Damage | 1/11/2021
- Canadian Government Issues Elmiron Warning to Physicians | 12/29/2020
- Elmiron May Cause Age-Related Macular Degeneration | 12/18/2020
- Uninjured Elmiron Users May Also Want Their Day In Court | 12/4/2020
- Janssen Pharmaceutical Failed To Warn Their Patients That One in Four User May Lose Their Eyesight | 11/23/2020
- Elmiron Side Effect May Cause Permanent Life-Altering Vison Problems | 11/16/2020
- Elmiron Macular Degeneration May Have Been Mis-diagnosed As Age-Related | 11/5/2020
- Elmiron Users Are Advised To Make Lifestyle Changes | 10/28/2020
- Individuals Continue to File Elmiron Vision Damage Lawsuits | 10/14/2020
- Studies Indicate Elmiron Causes Early-Onset Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) | 10/5/2020
- Elmiron Drug Accused of Causing Retinal Toxicity In Recent Lawsuit | 9/18/2020
- Elmiron Drug Accused of Causing Retinal Toxicity In Recent Lawsuit | 9/15/2020
- Plaintiffs Seek To Hold Johnson & Johnson Accountable For Causing Elmiron Eyesight Damage | 9/2/2020
- Elmiron Lawsuits Are Gathering Steam as The Eyesight of Millions of People May Have Been Affected | 8/25/2020
- Thousands of Elmiron Users May Experience Blindness | 7/27/2020
Lawyers for Elmiron Eye Lawsuits
Attorneys handling Elmiron Eye lawsuits for leukemia, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, and multiple myeloma offer free, no-obligation case review for individuals and families who believe they may have grounds to file a Elmiron Eye lawsuit. Working on a contingency basis, these attorneys are committed to never charging legal fees unless they win compensation in your Elmiron Eye lawsuit. The product liability litigators handling Roundup claims at OnderLaw have a strong track record of success in representing families harmed by dangerous drugs and consumer products.