Elmiron May Cause Age-Related Macular Degeneration
Several diseases and adverse medical conditions have emerged in recent years in epidemic proportions, and their causes are unknown
Friday, December 18, 2020 - Childhood autism, obesity, and Alzheimer's disease are now so widespread and commonplace that the conditions are considered a byproduct of living a modern life. Age-related macular degeneration is another condition that society generally blames on old age. The facts may tell us otherwise, however, and the explosion in the number of cases of age-related macular degeneration may not be age-related at all. It may be more accurate to blame macular degeneration on taking the anti-IC drug Elmiron than on aging. Thousands of Elmiron patients have reported that they have developed eyesight damage. Elmiron patients seek guidance from an Elmiron Eyesight Damage Attorney to see if they can file a claim.
Patients that have taken Elmiron and now have macular degeneration report having trouble functioning in sub-optimal lighting conditions such as driving at night and when trying to read. WebMD describes Elmiron as a medicine to be taken up to three times per day, in perpetuity, "to treat pain/discomfort from a certain bladder disorder (interstitial cystitis). It may work by forming a layer on the bladder wall and protecting it from harmful/irritating substances in the urine. It is also a weak "blood thinner" and therefore may increase the risk of bruising/bleeding (e.g., bleeding from the nose/gums)."
Macular degeneration could be preventable, or at least delayed until a person is well into their senior years. For decades, women that have suffered from painful bladder syndrome called interstitial cystitis (IC) have been prescribed Elmiron, manufactured by Janssen Pharmaceuticals, a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson. Johnson & Johnson has a history of taking advantage of an FDA loophole called the 501k Fast Track approval process that allows drug and medical device manufacturers to bypass strict, time-consuming human product testing as long as they can convince a panel of scientists that the drug or device is like others already on the market. Janssen has enjoyed an inexplicable monopoly on making and selling Elmiron for decades, and the company has failed to warn the public of the dangers of causing severe, permanent eyesight damage until only recently. Macular degeneration eyesight damage is an ever-growing problem as Upmatters.com describes. "Age-related Macular degeneration affects 11 million people in the United States, and that number is expected to nearly double by 2050."
Janssen Pharmaceutical could be held responsible for allegedly causing blindness in thousands of Americans and for covering up what they knew about Elmiron Eyesight Damage. The company has a suggestive disclaimer on its website that acknowledges that Elmiron must be taken permanently to be effective. "Elmiron is used to treat the pain or discomfort of interstitial cystitis (IC). It is not known exactly how Elmiron works, but it is not a pain medication like aspirin or acetaminophen, and therefore must be taken continuously for relief as prescribed," according to Elmiron.com. Lawsuits against Janssen and Johnson & Johnson are being filed nationwide by those with degenerative, permanent, Elmiron eyesight damage.
More Recent Elmiron Eye Lawsuit News:
- The Food And Drug Administration Updated The Elmiron Safety Warning Only Recently | 7/21/2021
- Patients Must Establish an Eyesight Baseline To Compare With Vision Damages Allegedly Caused By Elmiron | 4/19/2021
- Doctors That Treat Interstitial Cystitis Pain With Elmiron Should Recommend Dietary Changes Instead | 4/12/2021
- Bladder-Pain Patients Taking Elmiron Should See An Ophthalmologist For Vision Loss Testing | 4/7/2021
- Johnson & Johnson Continue to Overlook Warning Doctors That Prescribe Elmiron | 4/2/2021
- Is It Possible Elmiron's Bladder Pain Relief May Be Only Psychosomatic? | 3/28/2021
- Uncertainty And Questions Surrounds Bladder-Pain Drug Elmiron | 3/19/2021
- Women Are Filing Elmiron Vision Damage Lawsuits | 3/7/2021
- Add Permanent and Irreversible To Describe Alleged Elmiron, Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium (PPS) Eyesight Damage | 3/3/2021
- Elmiron (PPS) Leaves A Specific Signature On A Patient's Retina | 2/24/2021
- Two More Canadian Women Report Elmiron Related Blindness | 2/22/2021
- Janssen Waiting Until 2020 To Admit Elmiron Blindness | 2/16/2021
- Attorney Danielle Gold Appointed To Lead Elmiron Lawsuit MDL | 2/8/2021
- Opthamoligists Believe Elmiron Causes Permanent Eyesight Damage | 1/27/2021
- Dangerous Drug Elmiron Slipped Past The FDA | 1/19/2021
- Long-Term Elmiron Use More Than Doubles The Risk of Eyesight Damage | 1/11/2021
- Canadian Government Issues Elmiron Warning to Physicians | 12/29/2020
- Uninjured Elmiron Users May Also Want Their Day In Court | 12/4/2020
- Janssen Pharmaceutical Failed To Warn Their Patients That One in Four User May Lose Their Eyesight | 11/23/2020
- Elmiron Side Effect May Cause Permanent Life-Altering Vison Problems | 11/16/2020
- Elmiron Macular Degeneration May Have Been Mis-diagnosed As Age-Related | 11/5/2020
- Elmiron Users Are Advised To Make Lifestyle Changes | 10/28/2020
- Individuals Continue to File Elmiron Vision Damage Lawsuits | 10/14/2020
- Studies Indicate Elmiron Causes Early-Onset Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) | 10/5/2020
- Elmiron Drug Accused of Causing Retinal Toxicity In Recent Lawsuit | 9/18/2020
- Elmiron Drug Accused of Causing Retinal Toxicity In Recent Lawsuit | 9/15/2020
- Plaintiffs Seek To Hold Johnson & Johnson Accountable For Causing Elmiron Eyesight Damage | 9/2/2020
- Elmiron Lawsuits Are Gathering Steam as The Eyesight of Millions of People May Have Been Affected | 8/25/2020
- Doctors Link Elmiron With Macular Degeneration In Long-Term Users | 8/13/2020
- Thousands of Elmiron Users May Experience Blindness | 7/27/2020
Lawyers for Elmiron Eye Lawsuits
Attorneys handling Elmiron Eye lawsuits for leukemia, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, and multiple myeloma offer free, no-obligation case review for individuals and families who believe they may have grounds to file a Elmiron Eye lawsuit. Working on a contingency basis, these attorneys are committed to never charging legal fees unless they win compensation in your Elmiron Eye lawsuit. The product liability litigators handling Roundup claims at OnderLaw have a strong track record of success in representing families harmed by dangerous drugs and consumer products.