Long-Term Elmiron Use More Than Doubles The Risk of Eyesight Damage
A study suggests that the more Elmiron one takes and the longer the period, the greater the eyesight damage
Monday, January 11, 2021 - Elmiron (pentosan polysulfate sodium) may help alleviate a condition called interstitial cystitis (IC). IC is better known as painful bladder syndrome. Millions of American women have been routinely prescribed Elmiron since the early 1990s to help alleviate their urinary tract discomfort. Women that have taken Elmiron have accused it of causing macular degeneration. (MD). Patients with MD have difficulty reading in sub-optimal lighting conditions and also being unable to drive at night. Macular degeneration may eventually lead to blindness. Up until recently, MD was thought to affect women based solely on their advancing age. Doctors considered the disease age-related. Elmiron eyesight damage attorneys offer a free no obligation consultation and work on a contingency basis .
A study published by The Journal of Retinal and Vitreous Diseases, claims that a cause and effect relationship exists between the amount and duration of taking Elmiron and the severity and permanence of eyesight damage. The conditions recognized in the article include drug-induced maculopathy, macular degeneration, pigmentary maculopathy, and pattern dystrophy. The research concluded that long-term Elmiron users were more than twice as likely to experience these conditions.
Elmiron itself may not be the sole reason that women are losing their vision. Taking Elmiron Elmiron regularly for many years may be the reason so many women are experiencing eyesight damage. It takes up to three months of taking Elmiron daily to start working. The drug must build up in the blood to be effective. The more one takes, the more of it is in accumulates in the blood. Taking Elmiron is a long-term pain solution for IC, and Elmiron patients become permanently addicted to it.
Lawsuits are being filed against Janssen Pharmaceuticals, the maker of Elmiron, and also Johnson & Johnson, the parent company, for failing to warn physicians and users of the drug about the drug's eyesight damage side-effects. The company website was forced by the FDA to update the eyesight damage side effects and has done so only recently. It is suspected, and investigations have confirmed that the more Elmiron one takes and the longer the period, the greater the eyesight damage. Studies also suggest the loss of eyesight will persist despite discontinuing the drug.
As a result of pressure brought about by Elmiron eyesight damage lawsuits and the federal government, OrthoElmiron has admitted the problem, and updated the warning as follows. "Pigment changes in the retina of the eye (also referred to as pigmentary maculopathy in medical journal articles) have been reported with long-term use of Elmiron. While the cause of the pigmentary changes is unclear, continued long-term dosing with Elmiron may be a risk factor. The consequences of these pigmentary changes in the retina are not fully understood. Visual symptoms that have been reported include difficulty reading, slow adjustment to low or reduced light environments, and blurred vision. If you already have retinal pigment changes from other causes, it may be difficult to distinguish future retinal pigment changes if they occur."
More Recent Elmiron Eye Lawsuit News:
- The Food And Drug Administration Updated The Elmiron Safety Warning Only Recently | 7/21/2021
- Patients Must Establish an Eyesight Baseline To Compare With Vision Damages Allegedly Caused By Elmiron | 4/19/2021
- Doctors That Treat Interstitial Cystitis Pain With Elmiron Should Recommend Dietary Changes Instead | 4/12/2021
- Bladder-Pain Patients Taking Elmiron Should See An Ophthalmologist For Vision Loss Testing | 4/7/2021
- Johnson & Johnson Continue to Overlook Warning Doctors That Prescribe Elmiron | 4/2/2021
- Is It Possible Elmiron's Bladder Pain Relief May Be Only Psychosomatic? | 3/28/2021
- Uncertainty And Questions Surrounds Bladder-Pain Drug Elmiron | 3/19/2021
- Women Are Filing Elmiron Vision Damage Lawsuits | 3/7/2021
- Add Permanent and Irreversible To Describe Alleged Elmiron, Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium (PPS) Eyesight Damage | 3/3/2021
- Elmiron (PPS) Leaves A Specific Signature On A Patient's Retina | 2/24/2021
- Two More Canadian Women Report Elmiron Related Blindness | 2/22/2021
- Janssen Waiting Until 2020 To Admit Elmiron Blindness | 2/16/2021
- Attorney Danielle Gold Appointed To Lead Elmiron Lawsuit MDL | 2/8/2021
- Opthamoligists Believe Elmiron Causes Permanent Eyesight Damage | 1/27/2021
- Dangerous Drug Elmiron Slipped Past The FDA | 1/19/2021
- Canadian Government Issues Elmiron Warning to Physicians | 12/29/2020
- Elmiron May Cause Age-Related Macular Degeneration | 12/18/2020
- Uninjured Elmiron Users May Also Want Their Day In Court | 12/4/2020
- Janssen Pharmaceutical Failed To Warn Their Patients That One in Four User May Lose Their Eyesight | 11/23/2020
- Elmiron Side Effect May Cause Permanent Life-Altering Vison Problems | 11/16/2020
- Elmiron Macular Degeneration May Have Been Mis-diagnosed As Age-Related | 11/5/2020
- Elmiron Users Are Advised To Make Lifestyle Changes | 10/28/2020
- Individuals Continue to File Elmiron Vision Damage Lawsuits | 10/14/2020
- Studies Indicate Elmiron Causes Early-Onset Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) | 10/5/2020
- Elmiron Drug Accused of Causing Retinal Toxicity In Recent Lawsuit | 9/18/2020
- Elmiron Drug Accused of Causing Retinal Toxicity In Recent Lawsuit | 9/15/2020
- Plaintiffs Seek To Hold Johnson & Johnson Accountable For Causing Elmiron Eyesight Damage | 9/2/2020
- Elmiron Lawsuits Are Gathering Steam as The Eyesight of Millions of People May Have Been Affected | 8/25/2020
- Doctors Link Elmiron With Macular Degeneration In Long-Term Users | 8/13/2020
- Thousands of Elmiron Users May Experience Blindness | 7/27/2020
Lawyers for Elmiron Eye Lawsuits
Attorneys handling Elmiron Eye lawsuits for leukemia, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, and multiple myeloma offer free, no-obligation case review for individuals and families who believe they may have grounds to file a Elmiron Eye lawsuit. Working on a contingency basis, these attorneys are committed to never charging legal fees unless they win compensation in your Elmiron Eye lawsuit. The product liability litigators handling Roundup claims at OnderLaw have a strong track record of success in representing families harmed by dangerous drugs and consumer products.