Elmiron Lawsuits Are Gathering Steam as The Eyesight of Millions of People May Have Been Affected
Product Liability lawsuits spur private investigations that may reveal negligence by major drug manufacturers
Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - It usually takes a string of lawsuits against a drug company to expose the harmful side effects their products may have. Case in point, Elmiron, a drug manufactured by Johnson & Johnson subsidiaries Janssen Pharmaceuticals and Ortho-McNeil Pharmaceutical subsidiaries, and also by Teva Pharmaceuticals, has been marketed as safe and taken by millions of Americans for a condition known as painful bladder syndrome. Elmiron is taken by patients that suffer from pelvic pain, frequent urination, and pain during or after sex. Individuals that have taken Elmiron regularly and for a long time have reported eyesight problems that include maculopathy and retinal disorders that may lead to blindness, according to DrugWatch.com. Many are now filing lawsuits accusing Jannsen of failing to warn patients of the blindness side effect. Plaintiffs seek reimbursement of their medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
About lawsuits.com warns that the number of Elmiron lawsuits filed may be indicative of many more to come. A Wisconsin woman recently filed a lawsuit claiming Elmiron caused her permanent eyesight damage. The woman, "took the medication for more than 20 years; from about 1998 to 2019, during which time the manufacturers provided no warnings about the link between Elmiron and vision loss." The website reported the attorney for the plaintiff as saying, "The defendants' misleading conduct placed Plaintiff at risk of harm, caused harm to Plaintiff, and did the same for countless other patients who were prescribed Elmiron."
According to IC Help.org, "Pentosan polysulfate sodium (Elmiron) is the only oral medication that is FDA approved for treating the pain and discomfort of interstitial cystitis (IC)." The drug's website warns that one of the common side effects of the drug is to act as an anticoagulant to thin the blood and affect its ability to clot. It is unknown how Elmiron works. The Mayo Clinic describes Elmiron's features in helping those experiencing bladder pain and tenderness. "(Taking Elmiron) may restore the inner surface of the bladder, which protects the bladder wall from substances in urine that could irritate it. It may take two to four months before you begin to feel pain relief and up to six months to experience a decrease in urinary frequency."
If you or a loved one have taken Elmiron and are suffering from abnormal eyesight, you should know that the drug's side effects produce no early warning signs. Elmiron allegedly causes Macular degeneration. Elmiron patients with Macular degeneration report blurred or no vision in the center of their field of sight. Before Elmiron, macular degeneration was a common condition affecting the elderly. The official Elmiron website tells readers that Elmiron may cause eyesight damage. "Visual symptoms include difficulty reading, slow adjustment to low or reduced light environments, and blurred vision." Elmiron patients should get regular eyesight examinations. A patient experiencing eyesight problems should stop taking Elmiron. The company warns that the eyesight problems could be permanent.
More Recent Elmiron Eye Lawsuit News:
- The Food And Drug Administration Updated The Elmiron Safety Warning Only Recently | 7/21/2021
- Patients Must Establish an Eyesight Baseline To Compare With Vision Damages Allegedly Caused By Elmiron | 4/19/2021
- Doctors That Treat Interstitial Cystitis Pain With Elmiron Should Recommend Dietary Changes Instead | 4/12/2021
- Bladder-Pain Patients Taking Elmiron Should See An Ophthalmologist For Vision Loss Testing | 4/7/2021
- Johnson & Johnson Continue to Overlook Warning Doctors That Prescribe Elmiron | 4/2/2021
- Is It Possible Elmiron's Bladder Pain Relief May Be Only Psychosomatic? | 3/28/2021
- Uncertainty And Questions Surrounds Bladder-Pain Drug Elmiron | 3/19/2021
- Women Are Filing Elmiron Vision Damage Lawsuits | 3/7/2021
- Add Permanent and Irreversible To Describe Alleged Elmiron, Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium (PPS) Eyesight Damage | 3/3/2021
- Elmiron (PPS) Leaves A Specific Signature On A Patient's Retina | 2/24/2021
- Two More Canadian Women Report Elmiron Related Blindness | 2/22/2021
- Janssen Waiting Until 2020 To Admit Elmiron Blindness | 2/16/2021
- Attorney Danielle Gold Appointed To Lead Elmiron Lawsuit MDL | 2/8/2021
- Opthamoligists Believe Elmiron Causes Permanent Eyesight Damage | 1/27/2021
- Dangerous Drug Elmiron Slipped Past The FDA | 1/19/2021
- Long-Term Elmiron Use More Than Doubles The Risk of Eyesight Damage | 1/11/2021
- Canadian Government Issues Elmiron Warning to Physicians | 12/29/2020
- Elmiron May Cause Age-Related Macular Degeneration | 12/18/2020
- Uninjured Elmiron Users May Also Want Their Day In Court | 12/4/2020
- Janssen Pharmaceutical Failed To Warn Their Patients That One in Four User May Lose Their Eyesight | 11/23/2020
- Elmiron Side Effect May Cause Permanent Life-Altering Vison Problems | 11/16/2020
- Elmiron Macular Degeneration May Have Been Mis-diagnosed As Age-Related | 11/5/2020
- Elmiron Users Are Advised To Make Lifestyle Changes | 10/28/2020
- Individuals Continue to File Elmiron Vision Damage Lawsuits | 10/14/2020
- Studies Indicate Elmiron Causes Early-Onset Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) | 10/5/2020
- Elmiron Drug Accused of Causing Retinal Toxicity In Recent Lawsuit | 9/18/2020
- Elmiron Drug Accused of Causing Retinal Toxicity In Recent Lawsuit | 9/15/2020
- Plaintiffs Seek To Hold Johnson & Johnson Accountable For Causing Elmiron Eyesight Damage | 9/2/2020
- Doctors Link Elmiron With Macular Degeneration In Long-Term Users | 8/13/2020
- Thousands of Elmiron Users May Experience Blindness | 7/27/2020
Lawyers for Elmiron Eye Lawsuits
Attorneys handling Elmiron Eye lawsuits for leukemia, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, and multiple myeloma offer free, no-obligation case review for individuals and families who believe they may have grounds to file a Elmiron Eye lawsuit. Working on a contingency basis, these attorneys are committed to never charging legal fees unless they win compensation in your Elmiron Eye lawsuit. The product liability litigators handling Roundup claims at OnderLaw have a strong track record of success in representing families harmed by dangerous drugs and consumer products.