Plaintiffs Seek To Hold Johnson & Johnson Accountable For Causing Elmiron Eyesight Damage
Elmiron Blindness is just another in a long line of dangerous drugs and faulty medical devices developed and marketed by a company owned by Johnson & Johnson
Wednesday, September 2, 2020 - Patients that have taken the drug Elmiron (pentosan polysulfate sodium or PPS) have reported experiencing vision damage and are filing lawsuits against Janssen Pharmaceuticals, the maker of the drug. The plaintiffs claim that the company, a subsidiary of Johnson & Johson, knew of the blindness-related side effects of the drug or otherwise had a responsibility to know and to warn their consumers. Elmiron was approved for sale by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in October 1996 to treat Interstitial Cystitis. According to New York Legal Examiner, "It wasn't until June 2020 that Elmiron manufacturer Janssen Pharmaceuticals finally added a warning to the product label alerting doctors and physicians to the risk of vision problems." The company now admits that the cumulative effects of using the drug for more than a couple of years can lead to developing pigmentary maculopathy.
Lawsuits claim that taking Elmiron has caused their clients to suffer blurred vision, difficulty reading, an inability of their vision to adapt to changes in darkness or light and to lose sleep leading to psychological disorders. Elmiron blindness sufferers typically have used the drug for 5 to 10 years before suspecting that the drug is the cause of their vision problems. Many have hired Elmiron eyesight lawyers and filed a claim against Janssen Pharmaceutical.
Researchers suspect that there may be many more instances of Elmiron eyesight damage than are reported because the symptoms are similar to other degenerative eyesight conditions that the medical profession has identified with old age. Science Daily reported that "three ophthalmologists conducted a review of patients at Kaiser Permanente in Northern California. They found that about one-quarter of patients with significant exposure to Elmiron showed definite signs of eye damage and that this medication toxicity could masquerade as other known retinal conditions, such as age-related macular degeneration or pattern dystrophy."
According to an article published in the Review of Opthalmology last year, Elmiron is the only drug approved by the FDA and taken mostly by women who suffer from Interstitial Cystitis (IC). IC can cause extreme pain in the bladder and pelvis resulting in urinary incontinence. IC affects about one million women in America.
Elmiron is just one of the allegedly dangerous drugs and faulty medical devices developed and marketed under the Johnson & Johnson umbrella of companies. Other Johnson & Johnson products that have been the subject of lawsuits accusing the company of negligence include "Tylenol, Benadryl, Sudafed, Rolaids, Zyrtec, DePuy Hip Systems, pelvic mesh, and hernia mesh. Last year, Johnson & Johnson paid the state of Oklahoma $572 million for the problems brought on by prescription painkillers. A judge accused Johnson & Johnson of intentionally downplaying the dangers and overselling the benefits of the pain killers it sold.
More Recent Elmiron Eye Lawsuit News:
- The Food And Drug Administration Updated The Elmiron Safety Warning Only Recently | 7/21/2021
- Patients Must Establish an Eyesight Baseline To Compare With Vision Damages Allegedly Caused By Elmiron | 4/19/2021
- Doctors That Treat Interstitial Cystitis Pain With Elmiron Should Recommend Dietary Changes Instead | 4/12/2021
- Bladder-Pain Patients Taking Elmiron Should See An Ophthalmologist For Vision Loss Testing | 4/7/2021
- Johnson & Johnson Continue to Overlook Warning Doctors That Prescribe Elmiron | 4/2/2021
- Is It Possible Elmiron's Bladder Pain Relief May Be Only Psychosomatic? | 3/28/2021
- Uncertainty And Questions Surrounds Bladder-Pain Drug Elmiron | 3/19/2021
- Women Are Filing Elmiron Vision Damage Lawsuits | 3/7/2021
- Add Permanent and Irreversible To Describe Alleged Elmiron, Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium (PPS) Eyesight Damage | 3/3/2021
- Elmiron (PPS) Leaves A Specific Signature On A Patient's Retina | 2/24/2021
- Two More Canadian Women Report Elmiron Related Blindness | 2/22/2021
- Janssen Waiting Until 2020 To Admit Elmiron Blindness | 2/16/2021
- Attorney Danielle Gold Appointed To Lead Elmiron Lawsuit MDL | 2/8/2021
- Opthamoligists Believe Elmiron Causes Permanent Eyesight Damage | 1/27/2021
- Dangerous Drug Elmiron Slipped Past The FDA | 1/19/2021
- Long-Term Elmiron Use More Than Doubles The Risk of Eyesight Damage | 1/11/2021
- Canadian Government Issues Elmiron Warning to Physicians | 12/29/2020
- Elmiron May Cause Age-Related Macular Degeneration | 12/18/2020
- Uninjured Elmiron Users May Also Want Their Day In Court | 12/4/2020
- Janssen Pharmaceutical Failed To Warn Their Patients That One in Four User May Lose Their Eyesight | 11/23/2020
- Elmiron Side Effect May Cause Permanent Life-Altering Vison Problems | 11/16/2020
- Elmiron Macular Degeneration May Have Been Mis-diagnosed As Age-Related | 11/5/2020
- Elmiron Users Are Advised To Make Lifestyle Changes | 10/28/2020
- Individuals Continue to File Elmiron Vision Damage Lawsuits | 10/14/2020
- Studies Indicate Elmiron Causes Early-Onset Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) | 10/5/2020
- Elmiron Drug Accused of Causing Retinal Toxicity In Recent Lawsuit | 9/18/2020
- Elmiron Drug Accused of Causing Retinal Toxicity In Recent Lawsuit | 9/15/2020
- Elmiron Lawsuits Are Gathering Steam as The Eyesight of Millions of People May Have Been Affected | 8/25/2020
- Doctors Link Elmiron With Macular Degeneration In Long-Term Users | 8/13/2020
- Thousands of Elmiron Users May Experience Blindness | 7/27/2020
Lawyers for Elmiron Eye Lawsuits
Attorneys handling Elmiron Eye lawsuits for leukemia, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, and multiple myeloma offer free, no-obligation case review for individuals and families who believe they may have grounds to file a Elmiron Eye lawsuit. Working on a contingency basis, these attorneys are committed to never charging legal fees unless they win compensation in your Elmiron Eye lawsuit. The product liability litigators handling Roundup claims at OnderLaw have a strong track record of success in representing families harmed by dangerous drugs and consumer products.